Philadelphia Futures Elects Seven New Members and New Executive Leadership to Its Board of Directors
Philadelphia Futures is pleased to announce the election of seven new members and four new officers effective January 25.
The seven new members include Pauline Abernathy, Chief Strategy Officer of Benefits Data Trust; Jennifer Daley, Vice President and Assistant Treasurer at Comcast Corporation; Damian J. Fernandez,, Chancellor of Penn State Abington; Otis D. Hackney, III, Chief Education Officer of the Mayor’s Office of Education; Katrina High, Senior Project Manager of Strategy, Planning and Operations at GlaxoSmithKline; Margaret Sherry Lurio, Partner at Lurio & Associates; and Raj Tewari, Director of Operations at Glenmede. The four new officers are President Phil Weinberg, Executive Vice President/General Counsel at Comcast Spectacor; Vice President Kevin R. Boyle, Stradley Ronon’s Financial Partner and a member of the firm’s Board of Directors and Management Committee; Treasurer Jennifer Daley, Vice President and Assistant Treasurer for Comcast Corporation; and Secretary Stephen C. Lis, U.S. Advisory Line of Business Leader at KPMG.
“I am very pleased to have these transformative leaders join our board and look forward to their contributions,” said Sara Woods, Executive Director. “They bring a wealth of experience to our organization and serve as models to our scholars of the professionals we hope they will become. I look forward to charting the future of Futures alongside them.”
Learn more about the new appointees:
- Pauline Abernathy is a former Philadelphia Futures mentor and is the Chief Strategy Officer of Benefits Data Trust (BDT), a national non-profit organization based in Philadelphia that is transforming how people in need access essential benefits and services. Ms. Abernathy brings experience in senior positions in federal and local government, philanthropy, and nonprofit organizations. Most recently, she served as the Executive Vice President of The Institute of College Access & Success. She previously served as Senior Advisor to Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, and as the Deputy Director of Health and Human Services at The Pew Charitable Trusts. She also served in senior positions at the U.S. Department of Education and the White House. Ms. Abernathy graduated summa cum laude from Yale University and has an M.P.P. from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.
- Jennifer Daley, who is also being appointed as Philadelphia Futures’ Board Treasurer, serves as Vice President and Assistant Treasurer for Comcast Corporation, where she is responsible for many of the company’s financing activities, including capital formation, liability management, share repurchases, financial derivate transactions, and acquisition financing. Prior to joining Corporate Treasury in December 2001, she served as Director of Corporate Accounting for Comcast Corporation, where she was responsible for accounting, risk management and financial planning for the corporate office. Prior to joining Comcast in 1994, Ms. Daley was with Ernst & Young LLP in Philadelphia. She graduated summa cum laude with a B.S. in Accounting from Widener University and earned an M.B.A. in Finance from Temple University. Ms. Daley is also a Betsy Magness Leadership Institute graduate.
- Damian J. Fernandez is currently the Chancellor of Penn State Abington, where he oversees about 4,000 students; 18 baccalaureate degree programs; an NCAA Division II athletics program; ACURA, a thriving undergraduate research program; LaunchBox, an innovation hub/make space; and numerous outreach initiatives and partnerships that benefit the region and beyond. Dr. Fernendez has enjoyed a distinguished career as a teacher, scholar, and administrator at Ethical Culture Fieldston School in Bronx, NY, Purchase College in Purchase, NY, and Florida International University (FIU) in Miami, FL. Dr. Fernandez holds a Ph.D. in International Relations from the University of Miami, an M.A. in Latin American studies from the University of Florida, and a B.A. from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University.
- Otis D. Hackney, III is a West Philadelphia native and began his career as a mathematics teacher at Germantown High School. After stints in different schools, he returned to South Philadelphia High School as principal, where he successfully helped heal divisions after high-profile instances of racially motivated school violence. Under his leadership, the school also adopted a “community school” approach by creating unique partnerships with supportive service providers. Mayor Kenney appointed Mr. Hackney to serve as the City of Philadelphia’s Chief Education Officer because of his belief that the students come first and his eagerness to improve opportunities for every child. Mr. Hackney received a B.A. in Secondary Education, Mathematics from Temple University and a M.Ed. in Educational Leadership from Lehigh University.
- Katrina High, is a proud Sponsor-A-Scholar Class of 1997 Philadelphia Futures alumna and a North Philadelphia/Germantown native. After graduating from Germantown Friends School, Ms. High received her B.S. in Chemistry from Wesleyan University and went on to work at Merck & Co. as an analytical chemist. While at Merck, Ms. High earned her M.S. in Chemistry and Project Management Certification from Lehigh University. Ms. High then took a role at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and transitioned from a bench scientist to a project management professional managing R&D drug development projects from drug design to drug approval. Katrina earned an M.B.A. from Villanova University and transitioned from R&D to the Commercial Business Unit of GSK, where she is currently managing projects in the digital marketing space for respiratory drugs.
- Margaret Sherry Lurio’s practice at Lurio & Associates focuses on civil litigation, specializing in personal injury, employment law, and commercial litigation. Following graduation from law school, she served as a law clerk for the Honorable Stephen J. McEwen, Jr. of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania. Ms. Lurio is a member of the Bars of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and State of New Jersey, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, Philadelphia Bar Association, Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, and Pennsylvania Association for Justice. She is a volunteer for Philadelphia VIP, a program that promotes equal justice for the poor by providing civil legal services not otherwise available, and has mentored with Philadelphia Futures for more than twenty years. Ms. Lurio received a B.A. in History, magna cum laude, from Boston College and a J.D. from Villanova University.
- Raj Tewari is the Director of Operations at Glenmede, the Philadelphia-based investment and wealth manager, and oversees the custody, accounting, and performance reporting for the firm’s $40 billion under management. He assumed leadership for the Operations team in 2016 after having served as Director of Finance, where he managed business analysis and key strategic initiatives. Before joining Glenmede in 2000, Mr. Tewari was an analyst at Villanova Capital. He also worked as a senior auditor for Ernst & Young LLP in the financial institutions practice area. Mr. Tewari received a B.S. from Drexel University.
About the new officers being appointed:
- President Phil Weinberg has served as Executive Vice President/General Counsel at Comcast Spectacor since the partnership was created in 1996, previously serving as Spectacor’s Vice President/General Counsel. He is responsible for oversight of all the company’s legal affairs, including litigation, financing activities, and player related matters. He is an alternate governor to the National Hockey League and to the National Basketball Association. Mr. Weinberg received a B.A. in Political Science from Hamilton College and his law degree from Boston University. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation, the Comcast-Spectacor Foundation, and Sprague.
- Vice President Kevin R. Boyle is a member of Stradley Ronon’s Board of Directors and Management Committee, and serves as the firm’s financial partner. He chaired the firm’s business department from 2004 to 2012, overseeing and managing more than 60 attorneys across Stradley Ronon’s offices. During that time, the department grew significantly not only in numbers, but also in practice areas, geographic reach and in the overall sophistication and complexity of the matters it handles. Mr. Boyle represents large and small companies, nonprofit and religious organizations, and individuals in business, real estate, and banking matters. He was named to SmartCEO magazine’s Legal Elite list. Mr. Boyle received a B.S., cum laude, from Saint Joseph’s University and a J.D. from Villanova University.
- Secretary Stephen C. Lis is a Partner and KPMG’s U.S. Advisory Leader for Product Sectors and Markets, and is a member of KPMG’s U.S. Advisory Leadership team. Prior to this, he was KPMG’s U.S. Leader for Management Consulting Services, a member of the U.S. Advisory Leadership, and a member of KPMG’s Global Advisory Leadership Team representing the Americas region. Before joining KPMG in 2006, Mr. Lis was a national practice leader with IBM Business Consulting Services in the Industrial sector and previous to that a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers. He received a B.S. in Business Administration from Drexel University and holds an M.B.A. from Lehigh University. Steve is a licensed CPA in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and a member of both the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Laura Williamson, Chief Operating Officer at Glenmede and who previously served as the Board President, stepped down after 12 years of dedicated service to Philadelphia Futures’ Board of Directors. During her tenure, Philadelphia Futures successfully expanded its programming, completed its merger with White-Williams Scholars in 2011, and fully implemented the ensuing strategic plan aligned with the combined organization’s mission.
David O’Connor, General Counsel at First Eagle Investment Management and who served as the Board Treasurer, stepped down as an officer but will continue to serve on the board.
Click here to view a full list of Philadelphia Futures’ Board of Directors.