Summer jobs and internships are an important step toward a successful career. In addition to providing income, these experiences allow you to explore a field that is of interest to you. If you have a successful experience in the summer, your employer can provide you with an enthusiastic reference that will be critical as you look for long-term employment.
Philadelphia Futures strongly encourages you to use the resources available on your campus to support your internship and job search. All students should:
- Develop a relationship with the career development staff on your campus.
- Complete an interest inventory, and explore major and career options using the resources available through your campus career development center.
- Keep your resume up to date and have it proofread by a professional.
- Be involved in organizations and activities that relate to your major and career interests to develop your professional skills.
- Take advantage of workshops and events sponsored by your career development office, including mock interview opportunities and on campus recruiting opportunities such as job fairs.
- Be familiar with your institution’s job posting process. Whether jobs are posted in a binder in the career office or an online system, employers are interested in hiring students from your college. Review these postings often and be proactive in your applications for summer internships and job opportunities.
Philadelphia Futures is eager to connect you with internship and job opportunities. In addition to using the career development resources on your campus, visit the following websites for information about available positions and for career resources: