Are you a student who strives to excel in high school?
Do you aim to attend college and obtain your degree?
College Connection is an intensive program that guides students who have a demonstrated academic foundation through the college application, admissions and financial aid processes and actively supports them through college completion. The goal of College Connection is to expand options and opportunities for college-bound students attending Philadelphia public, public charter and parochial high schools beginning in 11th grade.
College Connection students work closely with Philadelphia Futures to identify colleges and universities that best fit their academic, financial and social needs while supporting their admission to and success in these institutions. Students must be focused, hard-working, open to feedback and willing to commit to a structured college preparation, application and long-term support program.
The College Connection Program offers students:
- Personalized college guidance and individualized staff support through students' junior and senior years of high school and throughout college
- Weekly college-readiness programming: Junior year includes college awareness activities, campus visits, skill-building courses and SAT prep. Senior year includes classes on college admissions and financial aid processes and assistance with the transition to college.
- Intensive summer experiences before students' junior and senior years
- Educational resources, including individual tutoring and use of an onsite computer lab
- Extracurricular activities: Speech & Drama Club, Book Club, Stock Market Club, Performing Arts Writing Club, Robotics Club, Young Women Rising and Young Men's Initiative.
- Eligibility for scholarships to Philadelphia Futures' partner colleges for students who work hard and excel.
- White-Williams Scholars Incentive Awards for high school juniors and seniors who meet high academic standards.
- $3,000 for college-related expenses.
Support for College Connection students does not end with high school graduation. Philadelphia Futures is with students every step of the way throughout college. Our College Success services continue to provide individualized academic and personal support and assistance with preparing for graduate school and careers.
If achieving the dream of a college degree is your goal, College Connection will help you succeed. To be eligible to apply for the College Connection Program, students need to:
- Live in Philadelphia and attend a Philadelphia public, public charter, or parochial high school.
- Be a first-generation-to-college student. This means neither biological parent graduated from an American college or university.
- Have good grades - potential College Connection scholars should have a GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Meet family income guidelines. This is determined by the number of people who live in your household. Families must submit proof of income.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Students who are non-U.S. citizens will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Students and their parents/guardians can now apply using our new online application.
The deadline to apply is March 1st. Once your application is received, our staff will review the materials to determine eligibility. If eligible, students and their parent/guardian will be invited to the Philadelphia Futures office for an in-person interview.